5 Backpacking Gear & Equipment you need for the New Year
While camping and traveling in an RV is great to get out of the house. Hiking and Backpacking is also a fun way to get away from the Covid-19 madness too! Backpacking is an adventure that blends hiking with backcountry camping. It lets you discover new horizons beyond the campground to enjoy a massive, more immersive outdoor lifestyle. A key distinction from hiking in the day is the size of your backpack because you have to carry all of your life's essentials on your back.
If you love hiking and traveling for new adventures. You better get your backpack ready! While many gadgets and equipment are important.. The very first should always be a flashlight. So, now that we got the first one away lets take a look into what else we have to pack! If you need help choosing a flashlight, we recommend you these:
Top 5 Backpacking Gear And Gadgets For Outdoor Hiking And Camping
1. Osprey Packs
Small price to pay for peace of mind and what is, essentially, a backpack you never have to replace unless your needs change.
Not talking about price, but construction. Osprey generally has two types of bags. The bags with "trampoline" style back, and the traditional "back on padding" method.
Some people love the trampoline - it's cooler with more airflow and can be more comfortable. Others think it's terrible - that it pushes the weight away from your back, increasing carrying weight overall, if the mesh breaks at all it can sometimes mean the pack will self-destruct soon.
Osprey has good customer support and can be found in almost any outfitter. The price is usually comparable to other similar packs, and the weight is slightly above average. My advice, as always, is to go try on different packs in the store with weight in them. Try your friends packs, see how the feel. Hike with them for a weekend.
2. Jetboil Portable Stove
The Jetboil is a favorite to many outdoor enthusiasts. Super easy to pack and store away. A tried-and-true classic, the Zip personal cooking system is a reliable, no-frills option for backpackers who want a storable, efficient, and affordable camping stove. Powered by FluxRing technology, the Zip's easy-to-use cooking system boils water in just over two minutes with half the fuel consumption of traditional systems. Jetboil's 0.8-liter FluxRing cooking cup with insulating cozy makes boiling water—and keeping it warm—a breeze. The bottom cover doubles as a measuring cup and a bowl, saving space in your pack for clothes, gear, and food. Compatible Jetboil accessories, such as a coffee press, hanging kit, pot support, skillet, FluxRing cooking pot, and utensils make this a necessity for your next backpacking adventure. Includes fuel canister stabilizer and drink-through lid with pour spout and strainer; easy to pack and carry at only 12 ounces.
- Powered by FluxRing technology, the Zip's easy-to-use cooking system boils water in just over two minutes with half the fuel consumption of traditional systems.
- Jetboil's 0.8-liter FluxRing cooking cup with insulating cozy makes boiling water—and keeping it warm—a breeze.
- The bottom cover doubles as a measuring cup and a bowl, saving space in your pack for clothes, gear, and food.
- Compatible Jetboil accessories, such as a coffee press, hanging kit, pot support, skillet, FluxRing cooking pot, and utensils make this a necessity for your next backpacking adventure.
- Includes fuel canister stabilizer and drink-through lid with pour spout and strainer; easy to pack and carry at only 12 ounces. One-year limited warranty.
- For any adventure—from alpine expedition to a weekend trek—Jetboil offers a stove that will keep you fueled. When exploring the backcountry, a compact and efficient stove is fundamental, no matter the level of cuisine you want to create.
3. Therm-a-Rest Saros™ Sleeping Bag
The warmth and comfort this provides is great. The straps for your pad are perfect and even fit a 2.5" thermarest pad. I'm happy with this purchase. It does pack pretty big, but we shouldn't be so picky about that. Suitable for 3 Season Camping. Quality construction, comfortable fabrics. Anti-snag 2-way, zipper w/ large pull tabs. Unique features: pad straps, no fill base, comfort shape, multiple hang/secure loops. Stitch-thru construction can snag (opposed to welded)
Doesn't pack down as small as down (synthetic trade-off). Doesn't unzip fully, so can't use as a blanket
- Therm-a-Rest’s top-rated Saros 0F/-18C synthetic sleeping bag offers lightweight warmth for cold weather comfort while camping and backpacking
- EraLoft synthetic fill insulation is efficient, compressible and water-resistant using hollow fibers to reduce weight without sacrificing warmth
- With Additional Room for Multiple positions (W.A.R.M.) fit means it allows for various natural sleep positions while maintaining thermal efficiency
- Synergy Link Connectors integrate the bag with a pad for optimal efficiency and comfort; Zoned Insulation maximizes warmth and saves weight
- Long measures 85x33x5.5 inches, fits heights up to 6 feet 6 inches, packs to 11x12 inches, and weighs 5.25 pounds; storage sack and compression sack included
4. Zpacks Triplex Tent
Quickly pack up camp in the morning or easily access your snacks mid-hike with the zippered front loading panel on the ultralight Arc Zip backpack.
Comfortably transfer your pack’s weight to your hips with our patented ‘Arc Frame’ system. The frame also creates a gap between your back and the pack allowing for air flow that helps keeps you cool.
Featuring adjustable shoulder straps, an interchangeable belt, and a variety of optional modular add-ons, the Arc Zip will allow you to tackle those long days on the trail with a durable ultralight backpack designed to fit you.
Used by Deux Pas Vers l’Autre on their two year thru-hike across Europe.
- Our ultralight Flexed Arc frame keeps the pack stiff so that most weight is carried on the hips instead of the shoulders. The frame pieces and mesh back panel can be easily removed or replaced.
- The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm).
- The belt is attached directly to the bottom of the pack frame for the best load transfer.
- The belt is removable and interchangeable. If you lose weight or need to share the pack between people, the belt can be swapped out. Watch the belt removal video for more information.
- The shoulder straps and load lifter straps are attached directly to the frame. Load lifters straps come standard on this pack.
- The shoulder straps can move up or down to adjust the torso height to a perfect fit using our patented torso adjustment mechanism. It works like a conveyor belt. This is great for sharing the pack between people, for growing teenagers, or for resale.
- The belt provides a full wrap around your back. No need for additional lumbar support.
- The belt is done with "V-Style" webbing so that the top and bottom circumference can be adjusted independently. This helps wrap your hips much more securely and prevents the belt from sliding down.
- Collectively these features provide the additional load transfer necessary for loads up to around 35 lbs (16 kg).
5. Wantdo Windproof Mountain Jacket
PU Coating i Polyurethane barrier membrane, which has millions pores per square inch. These tiny holes are too small for water to pass through quickly, and PU coating allows water beads to roll off to keep the fabric as dry as possible. Design of large mesh pockets to provide enough storage room for Snow Glasses and other little things. The elastic cuff with stretchable thumb holes can keep snow and cold wind from entering the jacket. The lining inside is made up of warm fuzzy fleece that makes the best heat retention, and the cotton padding will keep your body warm. You can also adjust the hem. It has an elastic shell that contains microporous technology for anti friction.
- Warm Fabric: Professional water repellent coated, fuzzy lining and durable fabric with 240 g polyester fiber which guarantees the best heat retention. Relaxed-fit style with quick-dry material.
- Hand Wash Only
- Waterproof: Water-repellent rain jacket can work under over 10000mm pressure head. Keep your body always dry and comfortable when you are outside, also can fights bad rainy or misty weather.
- Windproof: 1) Adjustable hook & loop fastener cuffs and stretchable glove with thumb hole help seal in warmth. 2) Inside windproof snap skirt, internal draw cord hem, detachable and adjustable storm hood help to keep wind out. 3) Wear resisting soft shell is highly wind resistant.
- Multi Pockets: 2 zippered hand pockets, 1 zippered chest pocket (passport or cards stowed), 1 internal big mesh pocket, 1 internal secure media pocket, suit for keys, mobile phone, wallet and other accessories.
- Size notes: Jacket offers a standard fit. Please choose by US size.
- Best use: This windbreaker ski jacket is an ideal outfit for downhill skiing, snowboarding, snow sports, hiking, rock climbing and other winter outdoor sports.